Rugged Science is a Maryland-based company specializing in the ruggedization and passive thermal management of rugged Embedded Computers, shock-hardened Operator Interface Panels, ruggedized LCD Displays, and other industrial-modified rugged solutions. The central design philosophy at Rugged Science is rooted in three precepts:
Our products and solutions start with customer requirements and the demands of the intended application, both technically and environmentally. An appropriate industrial off-the-shelf product in our partner portfolio is identified. Finite element analysis is conducted to reconcile the demands of the application against the industrial specifications of the product. As technical risk areas are identified, Rugged Science will modify the industrial product to meet the demands of the application.
Over time and many projects, our experience has shown that the 80/20 maxim tends to hold true. In most cases, over 80% of the design costs will have been already covered in an industrial off-the-shelf product. The remaining 20% involves modification of the original design to meet project or application specific requirements. By focusing relentlessly on “modifying” versus “customizing”, Rugged Science can deliver a high performance, ruggedized product at an affordable end customer cost.
Company Certifications and Qualifications
Rugged Science starts up in 2011 after being spun-off from the engineering group of a mid-size Defense Contractor. The initial focus is to provide affordable embedded computers and HMIs to the defense market.
To better serve customers, Rugged Science reorganizes into two divisions. The Military Division is focused on DoD agencies that require more extensive testing and documentation. The Industrial Division focuses on the transportation, factory automation, security and surveillance, and commerical marine industries.
Rugged Science launches new product lines for rugged industrial ethernet switches and rugged tablets. Sharp, experienced employees and product managers join the team. Products are targeted for both industrial and military applications.
Rugged Science wins a large contract to design, test, qualify, and manufacture rugged embedded computers and Operator Interface Panels for the entire US Navy Aircraft Carrier class.
Rugged Science pauses from a hectic growth pattern to focus on quality and internal processes. The company achieves ISO 9001:2008 certification and also deploys an Enterprise Resource Planning system to ensure complete visibility and tracking along the supply chain.
Rugged Science will continue to focus on growth in the industrial market, with new sales engineers in key geographic markets across the United States. Rack-mount and blade servers will be an addition to the product portfolio in 2016.