Rugged Science has an immediate need for a Senior Mechanical Engineer who would be responsible for electronics packaging of digital and computer-based products for DOD, industrial, and government applications. Candidate must be self-motivated, work well independently and in a team setting, and have the desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Assess technical risk and cost for new business proposals, review customer product requirements, and transform into functional and ergonomic designs· Select critical electrical and mechanical components to meet functional and aesthetic design requirements; work with component and material vendors to specify requirements to design-in and deliver to mass production.
· Perform Engineering Analysis including Tolerance Stack-up, FEA (structural, modal, and thermal), Hand Calculations
· Define form factor, mounting methods, major component placement, connector placement and mounting, RF shielding design, and thermal transfer paths for sealed enclosures.
· Full documentation for new product development with focus on design for assembly and design for manufacturing. Excellent communication and documentation skills.
· Considers current and future design platforms during the development process to ensure consistency and forward compatibility.
· Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary engineering team - take direction from Business Development and Engineering as well as delegate and oversee the work of junior engineers.
· Create, execute, and document prototype test plans to assure product quality and confirm fabrication, assembly, and installation techniques.
· Develop product designs utilizing sheet metal, welding, and CNC Milling techniques; work with suppliers to transfer designs from prototype to mass production.
· Provide hands-on support to production, manufacturing, and test teams.
· Provide operations support including cost analysis, generation of Bills of Material, creation of Engineering Change Notices, and general technical support.
· BS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent field.
· 5-10 years of experience in mechanical product design, electronic packaging, and enclosure design.
· Background and experience in design for Sheet Metal, Welding, and CNC Machining techniques.
· Knowledgeable in DFM/A techniques and able to develop designs that incorporate these techniques.
· Experience with structural and thermal analysis methods, Inventor FEA or NASTRAN preferred.
· Experience with electronic hardware integration and packaging including embedded computers, servers, network switches, PLC’s, sensors, etc.
· Proficient in Solid Model CAD. Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD preferred.
· Experienced with ASME drawing standards.
· Familiarity with Military Requirement Specifications: MIL-STD-1472 Human Factors, MIL-S-901D Shock, Mil-Std-167-1 Vibration (Mil-Std-461F EMI/RFI a plus).
· US Citizen or permanent resident.